Sunday, July 19, 2009

Raindrops and Sunshine {SMS}

Who says that it never rains in Southern California?

I woke up early this morning with the intention to bake Sweet Melissa Sunday's weekly recipe before my upstairs apartment turned into an inferno. Today's forecast is 104 deg. F, partly cloudy with humidity of 27%. Should I be baking in this humidity?

When I arose from bed, I opened my bedroom balcony blinds to find that it just finished raining. This kind of weather reminds me of Hawaii. Aaahh...Hawaii.

Raindrops and Sunshine - This morning's breakfast.

Okay, enough day dreaming while eating tropical fruit this morning. Time to get back to reality and baking before the dreaded heat hits me.

Orange trees growing right outside my apartment.

Brief history of the Orange Empire - Where I live.

Although less than 150 years-old, the Orange Empire is surprisingly awash in historical significance. Thanks in part to clever marketing of a unique navel orange, the region played a vital role in luring frigid easterners to Southern California during the past century. But of course, the area's historical roots go back even further, primarily consisting of Native American and Hispanic ancestry.

This Sunday's recipe, Whole Orange-Poppy Seed Cake was chosen by Melissa of Lulu Baker. She has the cutest food blog.

Well, the clouds have cleared. I chose to omit the raindrops (poppy seeds) from my cake & make it all sunshine - California Oranges!

This cake was super easy to make. It turned out moist, fragrant and somewhat dense. The perfect accompaniment to tea, or coffee. I've decided to add this recipe to my Brunch Box of recipes. I look forward to sharing this beautiful cake with family and friends in the future.

11 comments:

  1. You're quite a trooper baking in that humidity! The cake looks great in bundt form, it's definitely a perfect for brunch (or anytime).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cake looks incredible. I made mine at night because it has been really hot in NYC as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your photo of the cake is fantastic. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your bundt version looks lovely! I omitted the poppy seeds as well, nice to know I'm not the only one. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photo! I bet the orange was yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your cake looks very pretty. Mine turned out dense too, but not grainy. It's very moist too. I think I prefer fluffy cakes or slightly dense cakes that are tender.

    ReplyDelete
  7. in response to your comment: i ride a Kawi Zx6.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aren't brunch recipes the best?! I wish there were more occasions that called for brunch! Thanks for baking with me this week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the decorations to the cake, and the background! Very heartwarming picture!
    And it RAINS in SoCAl? Darn it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice cake! Enjoy the rain while you can!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Raeann!

    How are you? I know you haven't posted in a while, and I was wondering (and hoping) you were still participating in SMS. I'm super excited to be hosting this week, and it would be wonderful if you could bake along with me. Hope you're doing well, and I look forward to hearing from you soon. Feel free to drop by my site to say hello or ask any questions- it would be lovely to find a comment from you! Have a great rest of your week :)

    -Joy

    ReplyDelete