Sunday, June 21, 2009

Mama's Little Baby Loves Shortnin' Bread



Put on the Skillet
Put on the Lead
Mamas little baby loves shortnin bread
Does anyone know that song?

My late mother used to sing that song to me when I was a child. It would be nice if I get all of the words to the song, maybe pass it down to my children (when I become a mommy) someday. One of her favorite recipes was for shortnin bread. She'd allow me to poke holes into the dough with a fork before going into the oven. Happy Father's Day to you mommy - because you raised me. I miss you!

Today is Father's Day. I hope that everyone is enjoying the day by celebrating fathers. My dad used to crack whole walnuts with his teeth! Superdad - with jawls of steel! Happy Father's Day daddy, I love you!

8 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed the bars! We loved them. Actually, I thought that my butterscotch would be a bit more runny and was surprised that it wasn't. Still delicious, though! Thanks for baking along with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We loved them too! To answer your question about the golden syrup, it was thicker than Karo, and it also set thicker and not ooey gooey - though I think the gooeyess would have been awesome, if not as clean!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your bars look great! Nice and gooey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know that song, but how fun that these bars brought back fond kitchen memories. Your bars look fantastic, I love the oozy caramel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to sing that song to my little girl. Okay, she is not so little anymore since she just graduated high school. In a mother's heart, her little girl, no matter how old, will always be her little girl =).

    Your bars look delicious! I can not even imagine your Dad cracking walnuts with his teeth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That song is on a Disney kid's CD called Children's Favorite Songs, Volume 2. It has a lime green cover with Pluto on the front. I've seen it at Target or Walmart, maybe both. We have the whole set (volumes 1-4) and my kids love them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Raeann!

    Your post warmed my heart- the way you talk about your parents is really touching. I've never heard that song before, but I hope one day you can sing it to your kids, even if it's just the one verse! Your bars came out great, and I'm glad they brought back happy memories for you.

    I'd love for you to stop by my site to check out mine, as well, if you have a chance! Can't wait to talk to you again after this Sunday's SMS recipe postings!

    -Joy

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can google the words that you have and you will be brought to sites with both music and words. Cute song, we used to sing it in music class when I was in school. I still hum it sometimes, especially when I'm baking, grins!

    ReplyDelete